Saturday, July 24, 2010

It is worth the pain

Project Base learning seems hard work for the teacher since monitoring a project is a big responsibility; however the benefits it gives the students like natural practice and puting into reality their English learning using something real is something unforgetable. You reach all the learning stuyles and skills you can imagine. The problem I find here is that you just can assigne certain time I find here is that you just can assigne certain time to this approach in each class because a project has its own limits and extension. You can check your students' work, but not all of them work at once if you give different tasks to each person. I would use it but is I have two hours class, for example, I would just assign one hour to this approach and the rest to the normal class. For a project to be successful it must follow certain steps like making the objectives of the reacher very clear and reachable. It must be something they would love to figure out. It could be for the class benefit, the community or their own.

On the other hand, talkiing about WebQuests, I find this very useful for me because the students can practice their English outside of the classroom making or answering excercises without feeling the stress of being tested like a normal evaluation. they can access at any time when ever they have time. The only obstacle I find is that I would use it for extra practice and it really takes time, patience, material and knowledge to do it. to make a WebQuest is not so easy as it sounds. It's easy to answer and participate in it, but not to build it or to create it. To construct a WebQuest you must follow and fill in all the steps or sections it has. Anyway, it's a very useful tool if you want your students to be busy using their English outside the room.

Like Victoria said I also find this week very fruitful and beneficial for me, my students and my collegues. I am sharing my knowledge with one of my workmates. He is applying it in Didactics of the English Language I.

Now, talking about rubrics, Stephen Hart says something real. A rubric is a good tool for informing students of learning expectations and it is also a tool for assessing learning outcomes.

With all this we have gone through what Arjana says effective self-evaluation. Now we are thinking about significantly improving our teaching skills, and you can only do this by checking each class, updating yourself and sharing your experience with other teacher.

Roxana

1 comment:

  1. Dear Roxana,

    I totally agree with you! From a personal experience PBL is really hard work for teachers. Unfortunately, in my country high school English teachers do not get paid for their project work with their students! What makes the work easier for the teacher is that students usually work in groups of 4-5! So the teacher work with 5-6 groups instead of working with 30-40 students. I think it would be a good idea that students do projects in groups… this would make the lives of both teachers and students easier. Additionally, students usually say that they enjoyed working in groups a lot!

    Yours,
    Khuloud.

    ReplyDelete